Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How I know I've been here for a while...

W.I.L.T.

I was in a Cranberries mood today. Do I have to justify it?

Sometimes when I'm listening to my ipod I like to pretend I'm watching a real life movie, and the soundtrack is whatever is playing. Go ahead and laugh. So the bus ride home tonight was entertaining, like a cool montage panning past Mexicans going about their daily post-work tasks (women getting their hair did, 4 men in sombreros talking about who-knows-what, families sitting on their stoops, dogs wandering in and out of internet cafes, individuals closing up their hamburgesa or torta stands, parents arriving home from work to kids etc.) with the Cranberries playing in the background. Awesome.

T.I.H.

No, not a typo. In this blogpost, the H stands for home. That's right, I am beginning to feel home here. Here are supporting ideas/moments:

1. getting into a heated argument with a cabbie over the cost of a ride

2. on the flip side, being able to wager easily for a favorable taxi price

3. having a heart to heart with the woman who works as caretaker of the property where I rent. We are past the awkward "hola"s and "hasta luego"s. I finally worked up the courage to break the ice and ask her where she lives and if she has a family. We ended talking for about 30 minutes about her son who is struggling with alcoholism and drug addiction and giving her so much grief.

4. recognizing neighbors, especially the ones across the street. They are a family and live on top of the corner store they own. They all take turns working shifts during the day, and I make purchases there frequently. We have entered the friendly-neighbor-phase. I chat with them, have learned most of their names, and always acknowledge them with a "bueno(a)s dias/tardes/noches" when I walk past them sitting on the stoop. They even helped me open a bottle of wine once.

5. feeling inclined to turn down invites. Since I am in a new place/home, I found myself accepting each invitation that came my way in the beginning, whether to make friends or to elude loneliness. I now feel perfectly comfortable saying "no" to some people.

6. having to jump through hoops to buy a plane ticket to Campeche (on the Gulf Coast of Mexico next to the Yucatan Peninsula) and finally succeeding. Everything in Mexico takes multiple attempts, so I successfully made a big Mexican purchase and feel more Mexican because of it. (Grammar aficionados, I know I repeated "Mexico" now 5 times in this paragraph, but T.I.M.!) One of the attempts even involved a trip to Mexico City. Ah well. (6 times)

7. Basketball! I've played twice, with one of my students. Anyone who knows my family knows that basketball is a custom of sorts, a christening for new places.

8. coincidences: I've been told they mean I'm on the right path in life.

a.) Today my "personal trainer" (I just joined a gym and I go after the morning rush when it's empty, so the owner has been taking me through personal workouts) and I had a conversation about how history is a story written by the victors, the vencedores. I told him about my Christopher Columbus beef, and he even used the word mentira (lie) when talking about the history curriculums used in schools. Sounds like a certain lesson plan from last week, no? My trainer must have read Zinn in Spanish.

b.) I ran into Laura, my gringa friend, and Jorge, a good Mexican friend, by accident at a cafe last week. In a new city, it's a great feeling to run into someone you know without planning it.

(shoutout to Mrs. Hughes, 7th grade, for teaching me how to outline)

9. being told that I am "different, or something" by a fellow UTEZ English teacher, upon long-windedly and excitedly telling him all about my Columbus lesson plan when I walked into the office to get a whiteboard marker in the middle of class.

10. (and I'll stop here) knowing where the best tortillas in the neighborhood can be bought, and which ones (the ones I had been buying) are "feas" (not good).

W.I.A.

I haven't posted a picture yet, so I'll leave you with this. Ceviche.


And this, just because the puppy is adorable. (Disclaimer, not my picture, belongs to a friend named Jaime, was taken in Coyoacan, the charming part of Mexico City where Frida and Diego lived)


p.s. I went to a lucha libre last weekend. If you don't know what it is, I highly suggest a google image or even youtube search.

8 comments:

  1. i forgot another coincidence:
    i've been showing Forrest Gump to all my classes this week, and the last Always Sunny episode I have seen from the new season is when they buy a
    "P.Diddy style shrimping vessel," as Charlie describes it, "Can we talk shrimp for a minute? I'd like the boat to be able to haul in tremendous amount of shrimp, sort of a Forrest Gump size amount of shrimp."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leì esto hoy y creo que se ajusta a el dìa a dìa que has plasmado en este blog por medio de tùs palabras... por eso te lo comparto:
    "The art of making something out of nothing..
    Anyone with a talent for happiness can do this...

    PD:Cuàndo serà en español? Seguramente el mejor homenaje a tù nuevo hogar, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 cosas màs:
    1. Sabìas que me gustarìa instalarme un chip en el cerebro que funcione como mi ipod personalizado que sea controlado sòlo con mis pensamientos y mis deseos musicales? Todo para vivir eternamente en medio de una pelìcula... Seriously.
    2. Lucha Libre? Fuiste? Què es? Nunca he ido...o quizàs no lo recuerdo...jajajajaja

    ReplyDelete
  4. isn't it a cool feeling when you start to feel like you belong somewhere new?

    and re: your comment, very interesting question! i have always wondered the same. i thought i remembered reading/hearing that tortillas de maiz are more common in southern mexico, and tortillas de harina/trigo are more northern, because of geography/agricultural reasons?? no estoy segura, peeeero it would be a very cool research project (and tasty jaja)... if you can find any more info to clarify our burning question def let me know what you can find out! and not surprisingly, i absolutely love your T.I.H. #10! jeje

    hasta pronto, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly ( I do hate to admit this) but Uncle Ray will be thrilled to hear about your Lucha Libre experience. That is one of his favorite things to watch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashlee: flour was brought over by the espanyoles! everything was made of corn before you colonized us :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. that makes sense, i forgot about that! dirty spaniards... even though i'm here, mi corazon esta al otro lado del oceano!
    but this still leaves me wondering about hoy en dia, where does the "flour flatbread" factor in, if it does at all?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ceviche: the western hemisphere's gift to the world.

    ReplyDelete