Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I stink at writing poetry...

...but boy am I good at spotting it.

As a former (still proud to call myself) English major, I have studied all kinds of literature. I enjoy poetry. ee cummings in particular. But I am horrible--absolutely terrible--at any attempts in creating it. I do, however create poetry in other ways.

Good poetry (in my opinion) invokes imagery. When I read a poem, I hardly ever understand it from start to finish. Poetic language can be very abstract. But the feeling of a poem is for me the ultimate goal, the end result. Think about music videos. Once you see the music video of a song you love, that images from the video will forever be engrained in your mind whenever you hear the song. Poetry is the same. It should invoke the senses, create certain images and still scenes in your head.

Lately I’ve been observing poetry in this sense. Backwards, if you will. I see a scene, and I think, well gosh darn that should be a poem. That may explain my love for photography.

For example, the first time I found myself trying to explain these sentiments, I was received with blank stares (explaining an abstract artistic concept in a foreign language is just as hard as it sounds!). I had climbed a small mountain in a quaint town called Tepoztlan, outside of Cuernavaca. I sat with my two friends, Laura the gringa, and Jorge, a Mexican, on a peak overlooking the town. Not another soul was near. Around us was pure silence, from far below we could hear the shouts of children playing, dogs barking, and cars honking in the town, but the sounds were as infinitesimal (high school vocab word, holler) as the images on a microscope slide. The sun was warm; the breeze was cool. The sky was clear and blue, and every so often a hawk would swoop overhead, in between distant peaks. We had brought a snack: beer and 2 small bags, of Cheetos and Doritos respectively. As I sat listening to the miniscule sounds, relishing the breeze and sun, and feasting on the breathtaking scenery, I couldn’t help but think that Cheetos were the most delicious thing in the world. That was my poem, and I struggled to try to explain it to my friends.









Most recently, as in yesterday, the poem I observed was the whiteboard in my classroom after class. I was cleaning up after the kids left, just about to erase the board, when I noticed how beautiful it was with the peculiar but revelatory set of words splattered like blue paint onto the surface. I didn’t have my camera with me, so I jotted down the words in my notebook in the exact same layout they were on the board. Try to picture the following smattering of words on a whiteboard, in this very layout:



Call me crazy, but that whiteboard was a poem to me.

I'll leave you with my favorite ee cummings poem, which is untitled:

"who are you,little i

(five or six years old)
peering from some high

window;at the gold

of November sunset

(and feeling:that if day
has to become night

this is a beautiful way)"

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful entry. You are an artist. And i adoreeeee ee cummings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You are so right about the whiteboard reading like an ee cummings poem. Incidentally, "images from the video will forever be engrained in your mind" for me is the teacher whipping her hair back 'n' forth in the "Whip My Hair" video. I can imagine you following suit in a Mexican classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my wager: language wouldn't be worth the effort
    if we had never made poetry.

    the contention amongst artists of the musical persuasion is that the eroticism of music is beyond letters and words and the like. BUT, i agree with kierkegaard: music only ever approaches the infinite where as language and words are the ultimate expression.

    what a joy the mastery of reading and writing and mastery of other languages can be! poetry might never be the stem...

    but it will always be the flower

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poetic entry. I add to this lofty discourse an excerpt from my own favorite E.E Cummings poem :

    i thank You God for most this amazing
    day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
    and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
    which is natural which is infinite which is yes

    It's that kind of day here even though the Phillies lost:(

    Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually Conor said:

    Molly I've been reading a lot of poetry. Do you know who Shel Silverstein is? This is a poem of his thst I really like!!!

    Squishy Squashy Staggitall

    When
    Singing songs of
    Scaryness,
    Of bloodyness
    And hairyness,
    I-feel-obligated-at-this-moment-to-remind-you
    Of-the-most-ferocious-beast-of-all
    Six thousand tons,
    And nine miles tall,
    The Squishy Squashy Staggitall...
    That's standing right behind you!

    Adios!

    ReplyDelete